2nd Young Horn Player Academy
took place on June 26, 2014 at the Academy of Music in Katowice
- Department of Wind Instruments and Percussion at the Academy of Music in Katowice
- Music School Complex Michał Spisak in Dąbrowa Górnicza
- Complex of State Music Schools named after Stanisław Moniuszko in Bielsko Biała
- Internet portal waltornia.pl
- presentation of the artistic achievements of adepts of playing the French horn
- presentation of modern methods of teaching basic horn playing
- consultations of teachers, students and parents, as well as exchange of methodological experiences related to school pedagogy
- popularizing the French horn and monitoring the development of young talents
- presentation of the specifics of the instrument
- integration of the horn community in Poland
We invited soloists and horn chamber ensembles (duets, trios, quartets, etc.) to participate in this edition. At the end, the Horn Choir of AMW 2014 composed of all participants of the Festival performed .
The Festival was open to children and teenagers learning to play the French horn in primary music schools (not older than those born in 1998) and those not included in the artistic education system (cultural centers, brass bands, music centres, individual learning) included in these same age frames.
Participation in the Festival was free of charge, the costs of travel, accommodation and meals were covered by the participants.
Solo presentations of participants took place in three age groups:
- 1st Group – for those born in 2005 and later
- 2nd Group – for those born in 2003-2004
- 3rd Group – for those born in 1998-2002
- 1st Group – miniature, piece or its part solo or with piano accompaniment, the duration of which may not exceed 3 minutes
- 2nd Group – miniature, piece or its part solo or with piano accompaniment, the duration of which may not exceed 5 minutes
- 3rd Group – miniature, piece or its part solo or with piano accompaniment, the duration of which may not exceed 7 minutes
Each horn player received a certificate of participation and occasional gifts. Diplomas were also given to the pedagogues preparing the participants and the accompanists.
Information about this edition of the Festival was published by Horn Call – a periodical of the International Horn Society, and the thematic channel TVP ABC recorded a program with the participants of the Festival. The Horn Quartet of the Academy of the Young French Horn Player performed in the broadcast of the Petersburg Music Show.
The list of participants
|n°||first and last name||vintage||school|
|1.||Leon Jastrzębski||2005||Dąbrowa Górnicza|
|9.||Jin Jin Chen||2004||Gostynin|
|25.||Franciszek Czech||1999||Strzelce Opolskie|
|26.||Adam Goczoł||1999||Strzelce Opolskie|
|28.||Kacper Janiczek||2001||Dąbrowa Górnicza|
|29.||Olaf Janukowicz||2001||Dąbrowa Górnicza|
|32.||Marek Könighaus||2000||Strzelce Opolskie|
|34.||Szymon Krupa||1998||Strzelce Opolskie|
|35.||Grzegorz Kurtek||2002||Dąbrowa Górnicza|
|36.||Dawid Lukasczyk||2002||Strzelce Opolskie|
|37.||Laura Łagosz||2002||Jastrzębie Zdrój|
|38.||Bartosz Maciążek||1999||Dąbrowa Górnicza|
|46.||Zuzanna Sobierajska||2002||Jastrzębie Zdrój|
|48.||Piotr Wacowski||1999||Dąbrowa Górnicza|
Silesian Horn Quartet
The Silesian Horn Quartet was established in 1993 and its members included full-time horn players of the Silesian Philharmonic. The band started its activity with the following members: Antoni Słota – long-time horn player of the Silesian Philharmonic, Stefan Grzegorzek – long-time horn player of the Silesian Philharmonic, Joachim Nowak – currently the first horn player of the Silesian Philharmonic and creator of many arrangements for the Silesian Horn Quartet, and Jerzy Ślęzak.
The current composition is as follows:
- Leszek Salwa
- Jerzy Ślęzak
- Waldemar Matera
- Grzegorz Grzegorzek
Damian Walentek performed with the band during the concert of the Young Horn Player Academy.
Members of the quartet also cooperate with other orchestras such as: Polish Chamber Philharmonic, Silesian Chamber Orchestra, Sinfonietta Cracovia, Polish Radio Orchestra, Bielsko Festival Orchestra, Silesian Opera, Rybnik Philharmonic and many others.
The Silesian Horn Quartet has in its repertoire classical and contemporary music, as well as arrangements of pieces of a lighter nature. This makes the quartet very popular among listeners from the beginning of its activity.
Band website: kwartet.waltornia.pl
She was born in 1994 in Częstochowa. At the age of 15, she began studying at the Music School Complex of Marcin Józef Żebrowski in Częstochowa in the class of Maryla Limanowska, MA. She participated in workshops conducted by Radek Baborak, Kazimierz Machala, Markus Maskunitty, Jennifer Montone, Jacek Muzyk and Will Sanders. In 2010 and 2012 she participated in the Internationale Jugendbegegnung in Neumarkt. She is a scholarship holder of the President of the City of Częstochowa (2012) and the Minister of Culture and National Heritage (2012).
Achievements so far:
- Distinction in the 34th Young Musician Competition, Szczecinek 2010
- 2nd Prize in the National Auditions of Music School Students, 2012
- 2nd Prize in the National Competition of Brass Instruments, Opole 2012
- Distinction in the XXXV Young Musician Competition, Szczecinek 2012
- Distinction in the 3rd National French Horn Competition prof. Edwina Golnik, Łódź 2012
- Special Prize in the 3rd Polish Horn Players Competition named after prof. Edwina Golnik, Łódź 2012
- 3. Prize in the 5th National Competition of Brass Instruments named after Ludwika Lutaka, Krakow 2013
- 3rd Prize in the 7th International Wind Instruments Competition, Wrocław 2013
- Distinction in the 36th Young Musician Competition, Szczecinek 2014
She was born in 1991 in Częstochowa. At the age of 12, she began studying at the Music School Complex. Marcin Józef Żebrowski in Częstochowa in the horn class of Maryla Limanowska, MA. She took part in demonstration lessons and horn workshops conducted, among others, by by prof. Wiesław Grochowski, dr Dariusz Mikulski, Jennifer Montone and Jacek Muzyka. He collaborates with many chamber and symphony orchestras, e.g. The National Polish Radio Symphony Orchestra in Katowice, the Gorzów Philharmonic, Aukso in Tychy and the Beethoven Academy in Krakow.
Currently, she is a student of the Academy of Music in Katowice, in the horn class of ad. Dr. Damian Walentek.
Achievements so far:
- Distinction in the 3rd Competition of Young Soloists, Jaworzno 2003
- Distinction at the 6th Festival of Brass Instruments, Mielec 2007
- 3rd Prize at the 7th Festival of Brass Instruments, Mielec 2008
- Distinction at the 8th Festival of Brass Instruments, Mielec 2009
- Finalist of the 3rd National Competition for Brass Instruments, Katowice 2013
- Distinction in the 9th International Competition for Brass Instruments, Brno (Czech Republic), 2013
- 1st Prize in the 10th Competition of Ensembles of Wind Instruments in the category Ensembles of Brass Instruments, Warsaw 2014
More photos can be found on Facebook. Feel free to tag yourself and others.
AMW 2014 sponsors